Friday, January 1, 2010

The Year of Health

Every new year I attempt to focus on one defined area for my self improvement. Mind you, these are not just "resolutions". These are well thought-out goals into which I put a lot of planning. 2010 is going to be my year of health. For the last couple of months I've been trying to identify all the barriers I will be facing, then coming up with a strategy that is do-able. I know my biggest triggers to failure will be related to my travel. So here are some of my strategies: (1) start checking a bag so I can bring healthy food as well as clothes and shoes conducive to activity; (2) carry healthy foods in my carry-on bag; (3) take the stairs in the hotels rather than the elevator whenever possible; (4) chew more gum; (5) drink more water and less lattes; (6) brush and floss my teeth early in the evening so I don't eat late; (7) plan for one piece of chocolate each evening after dinner. When I am home I plan to walk on the treadmill at least three times a week. I have no specific goal for weight loss, only hoping there will be some improvement in that area. What I DO want is to get moving again, eat better, increase my endurance and decrease belly fat. The older I get the more I realize how important it is to stay healthy. What I do today determines my future health and well-being. If I live as long as my mom has lived, I have at least 35 years left. I want those years to be unhindered by poor health. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment