Sunday, January 3, 2010

Viola's Impact

Viola's great-granddaughter, Nicole Steffan, wrote a paper three years ago for an English class. The paper had to be about someone who has had the biggest impact on her life. Here is what she wrote:

"An individual who has impacted me throughout my life is my great grandma, Viola Sinness. At ninety years old, she is very independent and still as sharp as a whip. She still has her sense of humor! She was a tough farm girl, born into a large family, living thru the depression, and having 10 kids of her own. Money was very tight, and she told me "they were as poor as church mice"......While dating great grandpa at age 16, she would tease her mom and say"Around the corner and under the tree is where my sweetheart made love to me. He kissed me once, he kissed me twice - it wasn't the thing to do, but ooh it was so nice!" Her mom would say "Viola behave yourself!".....
.....She is very fragile and it scares my sister and I sometimes when we go to visit because we can't hug her very tight, for fear of breaking her bones.........
She is 4 generations ahead of me (72 yrs) and has experienced a full life, while I'm just beginning to experience mine. She has taught me to live my life to the fullest and not waste any of it away. Her lifestyles, wants and needs are so different compared to mine. It's amazing the things a person can learn by talking to her for an hour. I can be myself because she loves me for who I am and doesn't judge or criticize me. I can talk to her about anything and sometimes our conversations are of nothing at all. She will talk disapprovingly about the morals and values of today. Yet we respect each other.
I've come to realize that my heritage is very important to me. This is my family history that I can hear first hand from someone who has experienced it. I have to appreciate each and every day that I have her in my life. She taught me that family is only tied together by those who contribute to it. I believe that once she is gone, she is still going to continue to influence me throughout my life!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment