Nothing can top what I just posted from my Mom. It is so much fun to look back at all the good, funny, and touching events of one's life. We all know, of course, that sprinkled throughout our lifetime there are also many sad, painful, traumatic and difficult situations. But isn't it great that it is the good things that stand out most? The loving and fun things that we reminisce over again and again? In my lifetime, like yours, there has been much of both. And I'm sure the future holds the same. So on January 17, as I turn yet another year older, I want to share some of the things I really like about where I'm at in life right now:
- The kids are all grown up and on their own
- No pimples
- Rarely shave my legs
- I can get "alone" time when I want or need it
- No more monthly crampy, yucky stuff
- It no longer bothers me to be true to myself, when out of sync with others
- I am no longer tossed to and fro by the latest fad, thoughts, trends, or societal groanings
- Nothing scares me; no threat of a pandemic, an economic collapse, climate change, or political chaos
- I understand that "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" (from Invictus)
- I am healthy, of good mind, and hopefully have many good years ahead of me.
These lyrics state so well how I feel on turning 58:
"And so here am I, open arms and ready to stand,
I've got the world in my hands,
And it feels like my turn to fly.
I am who I was born to be,
I am who I was born to be."
(Thanks to Susan Boyle's new album)