Monday, February 1, 2010

The Baptism Bowl



One of my most prized possessions is the bowl pictured above. As a child I remember seeing this beautiful bowl on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard. Later it was moved into the cupboards dad built in the dining room. Unlike most kids, I loved to clean the cupboards. It gave me an opportunity to see and handle all kinds of things that were not a part of our "everyday" life. I would very carefully take this bowl into my hands and VERY carefully step off the chair. I would feel the cut edges of the glass and marvel at the unusual, but beautiful color. Mother's cousin, Elizabeth, gave it to her and Oscar for a wedding gift in 1934. (Elizabeth was the daughter of Grandma Sophia's oldest sister, Louise). There was only one time I remember this bowl being used. This was the Baptism Bowl. For some reason, rather than go to the church, my baby brother, Bob, was baptized at home. I can still see the pastor, a gathering of family members, and this bowl sitting on the table with some water in it. "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost".... and Bobby was a baptized baby. I discovered later that my oldest brother, LeRoy, was also baptized at home, using this same bowl. Mom said she may have served a salad in the bowl a few times, but felt it was too pretty to use. And with all those kids around, she was probably afraid it would get broken! I love my baptism bowl. I have never used it to baptize, but I have served a fruit salad from it several times. But you can be sure, I will never let anyone else wash and dry it. That job is for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment